Thursday, June 16, 2011

The beginning of me

About midnight on Friday, June 16, 1967, my mother, Linda, got up because she was in pain.  She thought it might be false labor, but when it continued, she woke my father, Gilbert, and asked if they should go to the hospital.  Daddy's opinion was no, call your doctor first.  Then Mom's water broke, and that settled the question.  Luckily, St. Joseph's Hospital in Augusta was literally only around the corner, because Daddy checked Mom in at 3:18 a.m., and I was born just four minutes later at 3:22 a.m.!


They had to rush Mom to the delivery room.  Her doctor did not even have time to get to the hospital - an intern delivered me.  I've been in a hurry ever since. 

Now back in 1967 things were very different than they are now.  Back then fathers did not go into the delivery room - they sat in the waiting room.  But my father left and went to the Krispy Kreme donut shop to drink coffee.  The hospital staff had to look for him for awhile in order to tell him he had a daughter!

Mom and Dad brought me home from the hospital on Sunday, June 18th, which was also Father's Day.  In addition it was the day before Daddy's birthday.  I was quite the gift!

I asked my mother why some people in the family called me "Mary Elizabeth" and some called me just "Elizabeth."  First she said that she had really wanted to call me "Mary Beth," but it just didn't suit me.  Then Daddy decided he didn't like "Mary."  So they started calling me "Elizabeth."  Then my mother's parents, Pop Pop and Grandma, came up from Swainsboro to visit.  Pop Pop said it was way too Southern to call me by my middle name, so he called me "Mary Elizabeth" and others in the family followed suit.  I didn't become "Liz" until my friends shortened my name in my mid-twenties.

So today was my 44th birthday.  It was VERY low key this year.  Anyone who knows me even a little bit can tell you, that is very unusual.  Maybe it's the getting older.  I don't know.  I do know that I am grateful for those who wished me a good day on Facebook, those who mailed me a card, those who e-mailed me, those who took the time who call me, those who called me AND sang "Happy Birthday" to me, and the one who defied all to make it home to spend some time with me on this day. 

Now let's see what was happening in the world on:

Friday, June 16, 1967
Top News Headlines This Week:
Jun 16 - 50,000 attend Monterrey International Pop Festival   Jun 17 - Barbra Streisand: A Happening in Central Park performed   Jun 17 - China becomes world's 4th thermonuclear (H-bomb) power   Jun 17 - "Somebody To Love" by Jefferson Airplane peaks at #5   Jun 17 - 1st Chinese hydrogen bomb explodes   Jun 17 - Longest doubleheader 9:15 (Tigers & Athletics)  
Top Songs for 1967
Groovin' by Young Rascals     Daydream Believer by Monkees    
Somethin' Stupid by Nancy & Frank Sinatra     Light My Fire by Doors    
Windy by Association     To Sir with Love by Lulu    
Happy Together by Turtles     Ode to Billie Joe by Bobbie Gentry    
The Letter by Box Tops     Hello Goodbye by Beatles    
1967 Prices US President
Bread:  $0.22/loaf Lyndon B. Johnson
Milk:  $1.15/gal US Vice President
Eggs:  $1.10/doz Hubert H. Humphrey
Car:  $2,425 Academy Award Winners
Gas:  $0.33/gal
Best Picture:In The Heat Of The Night
 Produced By Walter Mirisch
Best Actor:Rod Steiger
 in In The Heat Of The Night
Best Actress:Katherine Hepburn
 in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
House:  $24,600
Stamp:  $0.05/ea
Avg Income:  $8,801/yr
Min Wage:  $1.40/hr
DOW Avg:    905
People born on June 16
1907 - Jack Albertson Malden Mass, actor (Thin Man, Chico & the Man)
1937 - Erich Segal author (Love Story, Oliver's Story)
1937 - August Busch III CEO (Anheuser-Busch)
1917 - Katharine Graham newspaper publisher (Wash Post)
On TV in 1967
The Monkees    Star Trek    The Avengers    Dragnet    Hogan's Heroes   
Batman    Mission: Impossible    The Carol Burnett Show    I Dream of Jeannie    Get Smart   
Hot New Toys in 1967
Dr. Doolittle's Pushmi-Pullyu    Spudsie The Hot Potato    Twiggy Fashion Tote Bag   
The Monkees Game    Frosty Sno-Cone    Ants in the Pants   
Girl From U.N.C.L.E. Trick Gadgets Set    Don't Break the Ice    Uncle Fester's Mystery Light Bulb   
Top Books in 1967
Children of Crisis by Robert Coles     Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov    
Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt     The Art of the Soluble by Peter B. Medawar    
                                                         copyright 1997-2011 dMarie Direct Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment