Friday, June 10, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 22

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:
The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's, child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.


Sun., June 4:  "Livengoods & us went to Bacolorate for Alice.  H. & dad thined peaches all day.  We ate dinner at Livengoods.  It rained some at noon.  H. & I went to see his dad in the eve."

Mon., June 5:  "It is raining quite a bit.  Dad is working at Wests'.  Mrs. Cooper came for for dinner.  H. & Delma came in afternoon & I went to town with them."

Tues., June 6:  "Delma & I went with Marie to her Aunts & made quilt blocks for Brenice.  Delma & I went with Arnold to Berdo in afternoon.  Marie & A. ate supper at Hazels."

Wed., June 7:  "Mama & I went to town about 11 am. & met Mrs. West.  Went to Norahs' and ate dinner.  In afternoon went to Class Day at school.  Alice was a pro merto.  Alice & I stayed all night at Trowbridges.  H. & I ate supper there."

Thurs., June 8:  "Alice & I came home about 6 am.  Mama & I took Mrs. West to town to meet the bus.  Dad worked on the rock pile.  H., Alice & I were to Trowbridges to a chicken supper.  Alice & Mama went to Ruths' graduation."

Fri., June 9:  "I picked cherries at Symmes.  H. & I together only picked 10 boxes.  We all went to Alices graduation in the eve.  H., Delma & I couldn't get a seat.  Herman came & brot Alice some stationery & flowers."

***


Sat., June 10:  "Alice & Herman went to L.A. & visited Herman's folks.  H., Delma & I went to town & I bought some material for my dress.  H., Delma & I went to Berdo in eve. & went to the show.  Mae West in "She Done Him Wrong."
Movie poster courtesy of impawards.com
“Why don’t you come up sometime ‘n see me?”



Mae West and Cary Grant
photo courtesy of 
http://listverse.com/2007/10/18/top-15-film-misquotes/

*** In posting this and talking with my mother, we realized that Alice was 21 years old when she graduated from high school!  The reason the family moved from Michigan to California was that Alice had tuberculous (TB) when she was young.  It damaged her lungs, and the doctor told her parents that she would never survive another winter in Michigan.  We theorize that she must have missed a lot of school due to her illness and therefore graduated later.  Kudos to her for sticking it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment