Friday, June 3, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 21

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's, child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.


Sun., May 28:  "Alice went to S.S.  I went with H. up to Plumlees'.  In afternoon we all went over to Mories, then to the show.  Came back there & made ice cream."

Mon., May 29:  "Mama & I washed & then went to town.  In the afternoon I took Delma to town to the doctors.  In the eve. I ate with Delma & H in the eve.  We visited Earls & Millers."

Tues., May 30, Declaration Day:  "We sewed most of the day.  H. came over in the eve. & we went to a show in San Berdo."

Wed., May 31:  "H. came over in the morning & we went to San Berdo & made our payment on our rug.  I helped dad thin peaches for awhile.  I went with H. to Yucaipa in the eve."

Thurs., June 1:  "Mama & I went to town in the morning.  I thined peaches in the afternoon here.  H., Lillian & Ben came over.  H. lent Earl his car & D. & I stayed with Donald & Dorothy."

Fri., June 2:  "I thined peaches today.  Dad worked at Wests.  Viella & Ruth were here a little while.  Mama, Alice & I went to see our rug & called on Verda.  H. came over in the eve."

Sat., June 3:  "Mama, Alice, Norah & I went to Berdo in the morning.  Alice bot a hat.  Alice & I got our hair trimed.  H. came down town & took me home.  Clara waved my hair.  Alice, Delma, H. & I went to the show, "Out All Night" Zazu Pitts & Slim Summerville."



"ZaSu Pitts (January 3, 1894 – June 7, 1963) was an American actress who starred in many silent dramas and comedies, although later, her career digressed to comedy sound films."  Wikipedia contributors. "ZaSu Pitts." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 1 Jun. 2011. Web. 4 Jun. 2011. 

 Photo courtesy of basicfamouspeople.com.





"Slim Summerville (July 10, 1892 – January 6, 1946) was an American film actor, best known as a comedy performer. 
Born George Joseph Summerville in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Summerville began his career as a "Keystone Kop" in 1912. His tall, gangly appearance was well utilised in numerous short comedy films during the silent film era, and in addition to his many acting roles, he directed more than 50 short films. Occasionally he played in dramatic films, such as All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) and Jesse James (1939), but was most successful in comedy films, including several with ZaSu Pitts."  Wikipedia contributors. "Slim Summerville." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 2 Jan. 2011. Web. 4 Jun. 2011. 

Photo courtesy of askactor.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment