Sunday, June 5, 2011

This is the Face of Genealogy

My maternal grandmother, Ethel Ranney Tapley
My paternal grandmother, Nealie Drake Tapley
My great-grandmother, Bessie Carter Ranney
My great-great-grandfather, Comfort Ranney
 I am posting these pictures in response to an offensive photograph that the LA Weekly website used to illustrate a calendar event notice on the upcoming 42nd annual Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree. Evidently someone at LA Weekly needs a sensitivity class.  You can see the call to response by Thomas MacEntee at Geneabloggers, along with the picture in question here

You can send them an e-mail, voicing your concerns and/or opinion, on their online contribution form located here.  It appears, probably because of backlash, they have removed the picture from their website.  However, that does not erase the fact that it was used and was put out into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment