Saturday, September 19, 2026

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Unfinished Genealogy Projects

 From Randy (my cousin) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night - 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  What started but unfinished projects do you have? Define one or more of them, and how far along you are in the project.

2)  Please share your answers or information as a comment, on social media or in your own blog post!

Here's mine:

Like Randy, I have so many many projects I want to do and finish! I thought I had them written down somewhere, but of course now when I need them, I cannot find a list anywhere.  So this is going to be from memory - HA! It may be a short list!

(1)  Cleaning up duplicate sources in my Family Tree Maker 24 (FTM) software.  I had gotten quite a bit done already, but then I lost my tree file and had to restore from a backup.  Somehow, all the work I had done, eliminating duplicate sources was GONE.  So I have started over, and I am probably not even 5% complete at this point.  

(2)  Doing a second research run on Ancestry.com for my paternal great-grandparents' children.  Using Ancestry hints, obituaries, Newspapers.com, and Find a Grave, I have found children, grand-children, and even great-grandchildren that I did not have in my tree.  I have also found birth, marriage, and death dates; first or middle names, and some very interesting stories from newspapers.  This project gets pushed back a lot when I have an obituary pop up, and I have to go research that family for a bit.  I am thinking I am about 30% done with this project.

(3)  Organizing and naming the photos on my desktop computer.  While this isn't strictly genealogy, it does include vintage photos I have been sent from cousins, etc. and modern day activities with cousins, including visiting cemeteries.  I got out of the habit of "filing" and naming my photos probably 15 years ago so it is a lot.  I am working backwards, and I am now on the year 2022.  So I would say I'm about 30% done with this project.

(4) Cleaning out a file box of genealogy items.  The box is just a compilation of "stuff" that I didn't know where else to put it.  This includes copied deeds, surveys, wills, etc. from microfilm at the North Carolina Archives.  I have been transcribing and posting one of those about every two weeks. I found pictures of a Grand Uncle a cousin sent me.  Lots of stuff that says "filing" or "enter into FTM."  I have no idea what all is in there.  I just do a little bit at a time.  I'm probably only about 5-10% into that.

(5) Visiting cemeteries and taking photos.  I have to suspend this project during the hot summer and cold winter.  I have been waiting for fall temperatures so my cousins and I can get back out on the road, but now that it's almost time, gas has jumped up to over $4.00/gallon.  So I don't know how much cemetery visiting I will get to do.  I will have to stick VERY close to home. This is an ongoing project so I don't know a percentage of completion.  

This is all I can think of at the moment.  I do have a couple of projects that I haven't started yet that I really want to get to:

(1)  Research the Vintage Street address in Los Angles where my grandparents lived when my mother was born in the 40s.  I cannot locate them on the 1940 census so I want to search the census by locality and see if I can find them that way.

(2)  Create some DNA "dummy" trees on Ancestry.com using information from DNA matches' trees.  Using Ancestry's hints, I may be able to find common ancestors even though my matches only have their parents in a tree.  I just learned about doing this, and I am excited to try it.

I know I have more projects that I just haven't found out about yet.  There is always something else that needs doing.

2 comments:

  1. Make sure you identify the photos as soon as possible, especially if you're the primary person who knows who is in them. And good luck with all of your projects, including the ones you haven't identified yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2 and #3 are good projects to work on now while the weather is still warm. Inside and easy to take a break if you need to. You have an ambitious list.

    ReplyDelete