Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wednesday's Child: Carolyn Loraine Tapley

Carolyn was my first cousin, first child of Hugh Dorsey Tapley, my father's brother, and Thelma Ann Norman Tapley.  Carolyn was not quite five months old when she succumbed to pneumonia on February 14, 1945.  She is buried at Restlawn Memorial Park in Jacksonville, Florida.  She has a very unusual grave marker, I think.  Hers is the first one of this style I've ever seen.  My father said that Carolyn's father was away in the military when she passed, and the family buried her somewhere else.  Once the war was over, and Hugh Dorsey and his brother, Russ, returned home, they moved Carolyn to her final resting place at Restlawn.

Unfortunately, this picture was the only one made of Carolyn.  My father always recalled that she was a pretty baby, and she certainly is beautiful here, at peace. 

"...Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment