Friday, October 28, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Parts 41 and 42

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
Delma = Hazel's little sister
Earl = Hazel's brother
Verda = Earl's wife
Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
Viella is Otho's wife.
Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
Herman (Williams) is Alice's husband.


Sunday, October 15:  "Hazel & I went up & saw Plumlees, Trowbridges, & Joe.  We went to the show in the evening."

Monday, October 16:  "Mama & I took Hazel to Pomona on his way to L.A.  We bought curtain material & paint to try & fix the shack."

Tuesday, October 17:  "I went to school.  I took the car.  Mama had lunch with Mrs. Ball.  Mrs. Dadson & Boskys' were here for peaches.  We made our curtains."

Wednesday, October 18:  "I went to school.  Mama went along & got her teeth cleaned.  We ironed in the evening."

Thursday, October 19:  "I went to school.  I had my teeth cleaned.  Mama & I went to Yucaipa for groceries."

Friday, October 20:  "I went to school.  Went to Luciles had lunch there.  D. Pence's were there.  Dad worked at Shultz's."

Saturday, October 21:  "Mama & I went to San Berdo. in the afternoon.  Dad is still working at Shultzs."

Sunday, October 22:  "Dad worked at Shultzs.  Found Hazel at Balls.  We went to Yucaipa in the afternoon.  Looked at City from Flag Hill {**See note below.} in the eve."

Monday, October 23:  "Joe took Hazel to L.A.  They took me to school on there way.  I sure hated to see Hazel go.  Mrs. Ball made us a visit in the eve."

Tuesday, October 24:  "I went to school.  Had a typing test - 37 with 3 errors.  Mama & I went to Yucaipa & Spottie acted terrible."
 
 Wednesday, October 25:  "I went to school.  Clara waved my hair; at Luciles.  I didn't get a letter from Hazel something must be wrong."
 
 Thursday, October 26:  "I went to school.  I sewed on my brown dress in the eve. & finished it."

Friday, October 27:  "I went to school.  Mama & I went to San Berdo. in the afternoon.  Stopped at Laura's in the afternoon.  We went to Trowbridges for a min. in the eve."

Saturday, October 28:  "Went to Yucaipa in the morning.  Alice & Herman came about noon.  Viella came in the eve. for a little while."

**Flag Hill is now Flag Hill Veterans Memorial Park.  From the City of Yucaipa website:

"Flag Hill Veterans Memorial Park is located at the corner of Yucaipa Boulevard and Fremont Street. This park lends a panoramic view of the Yucaipa Valley. 

Located at this park are a large number and variety of trees that have been donated in memory of the donor’s loved ones. Structures and amenities include a playground, parking lot, turfed lawn, many trees, picnic tables, benches located in and around shaded areas, 2 half-court basketball courts and restroom facility. 

The upper section of the park has been dedicated as a memorial to the military men and women from Yucaipa who lost their lives while defending our Country."



No comments:

Post a Comment