Among other things, I am looking for the following:
* Civil War Service Record for my great-great-grandfather Comfort Ranney
* Civil War Pension File for Comfort Ranney
* Confederate Naval record for my great-great-grandfather George Schwalls
* War of 1812 Service record for Comfort Ranney
* War of 1812 Service record for Archibald Odom
* War of 1812 Service record for Jonathan Hesser
* Revolutionary War file/bounty land award information for 4th g-grandfather Comfort Ranney
* Revolutionary War file/bounty land award information for Nathaniel Ranney
* Land Records for Comfort Ranney (There are 7 that I pulled off the BLM site.)
* Land Records for Jonathan Hesser (There are 3 that I pulled off the BLM site.)
Is that enough to keep me busy for two days? Is it too much? We shall see. I will share my findings tomorrow, if I'm not too exhausted or cross-eyed from my day of diligent research!
Surely I will have an easier day of it tomorrow. I mean, riding the Metro to D.C. (We are staying in Alexandria, Virginia) in the sunshine should be easier than driving the entire way from Durham in the rain. I mean, the ENTIRE way. I hate driving in the rain. I-95 was especially scary with the semi-trucks throwing streams of water behind them. In addition, it got dark at about 5:30 because it was raining! So to say that I am looking forward to seeing the sun tomorrow would be an understatement.
We did take a break on the drive and stopped at IKEA in Woodbridge. We do not have one in Raleigh/Durham - the closest one to us is two hours away in Charlotte - so it was a treat to visit. I only picked up a few little things and still managed to spend $30!