Saturday, October 1, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - List Your Matrilineal Line(s)

From Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings:

Hey genealogy buffs - it's Saturday Night again -- time for more Genealogy Fun!!
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) List your matrilineal line - your mother, her mother, etc. back to the first identifiable mother. Note: this line is how your mitochondrial DNA was passed to you!

2) Tell us if you have had your mitochondrial DNA tested, and if so, which Haplogroup you are in.

3) Post your responses on your own blog post, in Comments to this blog post, or in a Status line on Facebook or in your Stream at Google Plus.

4) If you have done this before, please do your father's matrilineal line, or your grandfather's matrilineal line, or your spouse's matriliuneal line.

5) Does this list spur you to find distant cousins that might share one of your matrilineal lines?


(1)

- Elizabeth "Liz" Tapley (me)

- Linda Irene Tapley (my mother)

- Ethel Irene Ranney (b. 1913 in Elsie, Michigan; d. 1973 in Dublin, Georgia), married Charles Tapley (grandmother)

- Bessie Alice Carter (b. 1883 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; d. 1960 in Redlands, California), married Luther Boardman Ranney (great-grandmother)

- Sarah Melissa Schoonover (b. 1840; d. 1918 in Elsie, Michigan), married Charles K. Carter (great-great-grandmother)

- Sarah Ozman/Ozmun (b. 1800; d. 1870), married Richard Schoonover (3rd great-grandmother)

- Sarah Jordan (b. 1762 in New York; d. 1812 in New York), married Abraham Ozman/Ozmun (4th great-grandmother)

(2) Yes, I have had my mitochondrial DNA tested. I am in the maternal haplogroup U5a1a1.

(3) Done!

(4) N/A

(5) I was already interested in finding distant cousins from my matrilineal lines. I know so little about the Carters, Schoonovers, or Ozmans/Ozmuns. I have been contacted at 23andme.com by persons who are possible 3rd to 5th cousins or further out, but shame on me, I have not had a chance to follow up with any of them yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment